directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [scm] Pre-requisites for Maven 2 switchover and new svn layout
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:47:15 GMT
We've been talking about going to maven 2 and changing (simplifying) the
SVN repository layout all at the same time.  To do this in a big bang we
need to merge all active braches back to their trunks before we
proceed.  Otherwise these branches will not merge back quietly.  So we
all know we have to do this maven 2 and svn repo reorg.  Question is
when and how?

I recommend we get the DN branch Emmanuel is working on and the Stored
Procedure branch Ersin is working on merged back to the trunk.  Likewise
for MINA we need to make sure all branches are merged.  At this point in
time we can reorg the repository and switch over to maven 2.  This is
not going to be an easy time but with an impulse of energy we can get
most of it done quickly.

BTW here's what is being done at felix and what I think we should do as
well:

<from-richard-hall>

  felix/
     trunk/
        org.apache.felix.framework/
        org.apache.felix.shell/
        org.apache.felix.shell.tui/
        org.apache.felix.prefs.jndi/
     releases/
        org.apache.felix.framework-0.8.0/
        org.apache.felix.shell-1.0.0/
        org.apache.felix.shell-1.0.1/
     sandbox/
        tbennett/
        erodriquez/
        akarasulu/

The trunk/ directory contains a subdirectory for each subproject with
the subproject's directory being named after the subproject's root
package. The releases/ directory contains release snapshots of the
subprojects. The sandbox/ directory contains directories for developer
experimentation.

Each individual subproject will have the following Maven 2 structure:

  org.apache.felix.<subproject>/
     src/
        main/
           java/
              org/apache/felix/...
           resources/
        test/
           java/
              org/apache/felix/...
           resources/

</from-richard-hall>

We can think about this on a separate thread but before we can enact any
reorg plan we need to merge all branches and freeze development for a
day or two.  Ok?

Alex