directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [apacheds] Moving to OSGi
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:55:41 GMT
Trustin Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know if we can embed OSGi kernel into OSGi kernel.  I heard
> someone say that it is possible.  If it is true, I think we can consider
> building ApacheDS on top of OSGi platform.  I think it will save a lot
> of time for us ( e.g. dynamic reconfiguration).  But I'm almost a layman
> in OSGi field for now, so I'm not sure this kind of thought is right
> thing yet.  It would be great if we have some discussion here.

It's possible, but I have no idea why you would want to do so.  Perhaps
you are thinking of other IoC containers which nest components?  In OSGi
you have a single "backplane" that services register with, the Service
Registry.  Wiring is scoped by LDAP filters and Java interfaces and can
be secured by both framework means and Java security.

For more targeted wiring, and perhaps the nested components you are
picturing, one option is the Extension Registry developed and used in
Eclipse, which is an OSGi bundle separable from Eclipse, so available
for use in non-RCP applications.

I have ApacheDS working fine as a suite of bundles in the Felix
implementation, so "ApacheDS on top of OSGi platform" is more than
possible.  However, I am working with large-grained OSGi bundles, so
have done none of the work or experimentation to use OSGi for desirable
extension points such as MINA filters or SAM subsystems (in the Kerberos
protocol).  I really look forward to you and other ApacheDS developers
working more here.

> We have a lot of features to implement and every feature we implement
> will require a good extension point IMHO.  If we standardize the
> extension, configuration, and discovery mechanism using OSGi, I think
> we'll be happier than ever.

I, of course, am fully in support of a dedicated focus by Apache
Directory on OSGi and for the same reasons you state.

Enrique