directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Pre-requisites for Maven 2 switchover and new svn layout
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:53:48 GMT
On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 10:47 -0500, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> We've been talking about going to maven 2 and changing (simplifying) the
> SVN repository layout all at the same time.

Both task are really important and needed.

> To do this in a big bang we
> need to merge all active braches back to their trunks before we
> proceed.

True. Better to have a minor version just released to work on !

> Otherwise these branches will not merge back quietly.  So we
> all know we have to do this maven 2 and svn repo reorg.  Question is
> when and how?

Obviously after 0.9.4 for ADS. We have to clmose the blocking issues,
many of the majors, and it could be done before releasing 0.9.4. Then,
we could go for a m2 and structure refactoring on the same shot.

> I recommend we get the DN branch Emmanuel is working on and the Stored
> Procedure branch Ersin is working on merged back to the trunk.

Well, it's a question of timing. The DN branch could take a while (let
say 2 weeks, if I don't get totally drunk for three days ;)

>  Likewise
> for MINA we need to make sure all branches are merged.

Yep.

> At this point in
> time we can reorg the repository and switch over to maven 2.

What about doing the refactoring and m2 on MINA right now, as suggested
by Brett? Mina is quite a standalone project, and could do the
beta-testing for us. Okay, there is a major drawback : we will need two
versions of maven to build the project (m2 for Mina, and m1.0.2 for the
rest. Otherwise, we will have to maintain two build systems for mina.
Choose your pain ;)

> This is
> not going to be an easy time but with an impulse of energy we can get
> most of it done quickly.

I won't say it will be neither easy nor fast, but we need to go this
way. In my mind, it's just a question of timing.

Btw, I really don't like the idea of having named-sandbox (I'm with
Brett on this). Sandbox is a sandbox, it's for everybody. If one can't
find a name for a project in the sandbox, then that means the project is
not well defined. IMHO, so far !

> We can think about this on a separate thread but before we can enact any
> reorg plan we need to merge all branches and freeze development for a
> day or two.  Ok?

ok. Freezing is necessary before big reorgs. And keep in mind that we
have a lot of doco to do ;)

--
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com