directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] checkout problem
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:48:36 GMT
> >Another possibility is that we try to get trunks that can be compiled
> >online, without any problems for the user. That means we have to deploy
> >everytime we check-in some code. Pretty expensive.
> >

> IMO I think we should all be deploying changes with every check in.  Yes
> it is expensive :( but we have to or no one will be able to build properly.

Last time I deployed everything, it took more than half an hour. This is
simply impossible to accept this, as long as we are working on trunks.
Working in branches is something that is not always necessary and it's
not free, too.

We have to consider that either we deliver releases more often (let say
everytime a blocker or major bug is corrected), or we must have some
kind of nightly build. Any other solution is simply too costly, IMHO.

Or maybe we have a building system that is not that expensive (1 or 2
minutes seems acceptable). We have to keep in mind that uploading all
jars will cost at least 1 min if we have a 1Mbs upload capacity, and 10
mins if it's only 128Mbs, and deploying a single jars is a question of
10 to 20 seconds.

btw, I've a server that does nothing which can be used to build nighty
builds if needed.

Again, this is just MHO.

-- Emmanuel

> Alex
> Wanadoo vous informe que cet  e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail.

Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com