directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [ApacheDS] checkout problem
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:16:50 GMT
On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 15:01 -0800, Jeff Lansing wrote:
> ... 10 more errors.

Well, you are experiencing the "Apache way" and the "Maven magic"...

Sorry about that.

As there are some modifications in the different subprojects, you may
have problems building them if you don't do it in the correct order (and
of course off line), or if you are using maven online (and if the jars
are not deployed).

I may be wrong, but generally we assume that people that want to build
the full project from the trunk are not doing it online (thus, they are
not downloading the jars - maven -o -). In this case, of course, you
should *know* what has to be compiled first. This is not obvious.
You can have a look to http://wiki.apache.org/directory/IdeHome, but
this is clearly outdated. However, the compilation order should not have
changed a lot
(http://wiki.apache.org/directory/IdeHome#head-469379613431ffb7f1e5deff034ad7beb607a657)

Another possibility is that we try to get trunks that can be compiled
online, without any problems for the user. That means we have to deploy
everytime we check-in some code. Pretty expensive.

At this point, we hit a wall. Either we have a
maven -o multiproject:install
that build all the projects in the correct order, or we we should find
another way to work out that kind of problem.

What I can say is that even if you are suffering of it, you are not
alone. We all do. And that's not good.

Again, I'm sorry, and more than that, I'm ashamed of this situation.
This is obviously something that should be fixed *really* quickly.

I have no solution right now. I tried to build each subprojects using
maven -o, but, damn, some jars are not in my personal repository
(commons-lang is used in 2.0 and 2.1 versions, which is *BAD*)

I promise that we are going to work this out in the next few days, we
are doing our best. I'm lucky enough to be able to dedicate full time on
this right now, just be patient and notice that it's just a HEAD, not a
delivered version, so this is the kind of problem you may encounter.

Fyi, I'm in France, so I'm GMT+1, and I'm in front of my computer form
9AM GMT to 1AM GMT, with breaks for lunch (2 hours in France ;) and
dinner (2 more hours ;)

I wil try to handle this situation tomotrow morning as soon as I have my
coffee, I promise !