directory-dev mailing list archives

From Simon.Tem...@saaconsultants.com
Subject Logging and Logger Name Conventions
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:17:50 GMT

I have a couple of points on the use of Loggers I'd like opinions on:

1.  After embedding the server within JBoss it took a long time to stop the
BERDigester DEBUG messages filling up our log files.  By convention most
projects that use logging create loggers using their class names:
LoggerFactory.getLogger( InterceptorChainTest.class );  So controlling
logging system wide is quite intuitive.

The BERDIgester does not follow this convention.  It creates a logger with
a fixes name "BERDigester".

      org.apache.asn1.ber.digester.BERDigesterLoggingMonitor

Can/should this be changed?

2.  I spotted a few calls to log.xxx() which are not wrapped in
log.isxxxEnabled() calls.  This can lead to inefficiencies especially when
the log.xxx() call involves String concatenation.  See
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory log.info() calls for
examples.  Can these be changed?

- Simon Temple