directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Gianmaria Clerici" <gcler...@bridgestream.com>
Subject LDAP: error code 54
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:24:20 GMT
I am having a hard time propagating my exceptions all way to the LDAP
browser.

In my custom partition code, when someone tries to update a read only
attribute, I generate an Exception with my error message using this
code:

If (isReadOnly(attributeName)) {

AttributeModificationException ex = new
AttributeModificationException("Attribute " + attributeName + " is read
only");

ex.setUnexecutedModifications(modificationItems);

                        throw ex;

}

But in the browser I get this more generic exception:

javax.naming.NamingException: [LDAP: error code 54 - failed to modify
entry cn=Betty Goldman,ou=Executive Staff,bsiViewName=Direct Report
View]; remaining name 'cn=Betty Goldman,ou=Executive
Staff,bsiViewName=Direct Report View'

            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.mapErrorCode(Unknown Source)

            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown
Source)

            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(Unknown
Source)

            at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.c_modifyAttributes(Unknown
Source)

            at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_modifyAttributes(Unknown
Source)

            at
com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.modifyAttributes(Unk
nown Source)

            at
javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.modifyAttributes(Unknown
Source)

            at
com.ca.commons.jndi.JNDIOps.modifyAttributes(JNDIOps.java:618)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.CBGraphicsOps.modifyAttributes(CBGraphi
csOps.java:111)

            at com.ca.commons.naming.DXOps.updateEntry(DXOps.java:558)

            at com.ca.commons.naming.DXOps.modifyEntry(DXOps.java:296)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.JNDIBroker.unthreadedModify(JNDIBroker.
java:1046)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.Broker.doModifyQuery(Broker.java:425)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.Broker.processRequest(Broker.java:206)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.JNDIBroker.processRequest(JNDIBroker.ja
va:360)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.Broker.processQueue(Broker.java:158)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.JNDIBroker.processQueue(JNDIBroker.java
:877)

            at
com.ca.directory.jxplorer.broker.Broker.run(Broker.java:124)

            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

In fact it seems that I always get error code 54 with exception, also in
other cases.

Any idea why ?

Who might be changing the exception along the way ?

I stepped through the Apache code and I could not find anything.

Thanks