directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <jalbe...@cellectivity.com>
Subject RE: [MINA]RE: Decoding/Encoding UTF representation
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:01:08 GMT

________________________________

From: Trustin Lee [mailto:trustin@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 November 2005 01:47
To: Apache Directory Developers List
Subject: Re: Decoding/Encoding UTF representation

2005/11/19, Jose Alberto Fernandez < jalberto@cellectivity.com
<mailto:jalberto@cellectivity.com> >:

Of course I would like MINA's codec to be able to read/write this
information without needing the use of Streams or the StreamIoHandler if
I can help it. Are there any examples of what is required to do this? I
looked at MINA's  ByteBuffer .putString() and ByteBuffer.getString() but
I am not sure how to use them.

Please take a look at ByteBufferTest.testGet(Put)String().  You'll learn
how to use them.

 Hi Trustin, I took a look at it but I guess I still have some lingering
questions:

My clients are J2ME devices, so I have a very sharp limit on the APIs
that I can rely on and what I can use.

If I use DataOutput.writeUTF(String)/DataInput.readUTF(), the wire
format will be something like <size> <ModifiedUTF-8StringRep>.

Do you know if there is a CharSet definition for the "Modified UTF-8"
format? I am never certain which one do the official UTF-8 and which
ones do Java's own modified representation.

Any hint will be appreciated.

Jose Alberto