directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Yall need your own list
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:05:05 GMT
Hello Stephane,

2005/11/16, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@apache.org>:

> I agree with Brett that a TLP might be a bit premature. If going out it
> would be fine to me under the commons umbrella for example.

I know that you mentioned commons umbrella just 'for example', but I'd like
to talk about the vision of MINA project a little bit here.

MINA is just a network application framework for now, but I don't think it
will be forever. My aim is to make MINA a full featured network application
platform which features:

* Visual protocol designer based on various encodings such as ASN.1
* Unified administrative view based on JMX and web that all MINA application
will get administrative benifit from
* High-performance server implementations (both standalone and embedded) for
popular protocols based on MINA
** HTTP
** SMTP
** NFS / CIFS
** DNS
** NTP
* Integration with existing communication technologies:
** SOAP
** XML-HTTP

So going under commons umbrella is like moving to another Directory project
IMHO because MINA won't fit well with commons eventually.

Fact is that as of now, Trustin is to MINA what Brett is to Maven
> (without the situation to be really comparable due to past history), but
> to me this is the same, it is clear that without them, their respective
> project will fall to a more than noticeable halt and users will be left
> in the dark for some time until someone steps up.

But it would be better I think to have MINA mail traffic outside Directory.
> And it's a first step for the project as well.

You're right, and I already mentioned about our community plan here:

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Yall-need-your-own-list-%28was%3A-Re%3A-mina-Refactoring-MINA-IoFilterChain-%28Was%3A-IoFilters%3A-DIRMINA-121-122%29%29-p1504779.html

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/