directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <>
Subject [mina] Using Ant + Forrest like Tapestry team does.
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:57:40 GMT
Hi all,

I've been playing with Maven 2 and splitting MINA into multiple projects.
But at this time, Maven 2 documentation is far from perfection, and we have
to bother Maven team and manuals to build a satistifiable build system for
MINA (and of course for other projects of us)

While I'm looking for the Apache projects which uses EasyMock to clarify
some license issue with MIT-license, I've found that Tapestry team adopted
Ant + Forrest instead of Maven. This way has an apparent advantage for MINA:

1) We can easily package multiprojects into one tarball.

2) We can generate various versions of multiprojects; mina-all, mina-core,
mina-ssl, ... And, we can distribute all the JARs in one tarball with no

3) We don't need to worry about generating one site documentation for
multiprojects such as delegating JavaDocs and other reports.

4) Forrest provides better document generation.

There are some downside for it, too:

1) We cannot use Maven repository. Actually we can, but we have to assume
that Maven Ant bridge is installed for a user's computer.

2) We cannot use Maven deployment feature.

But I think this is OK because we can just use Maven-Ant bridge or JAM (