directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mina] Multiple IO processors?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:35:50 GMT
Hi Dave,

2005/11/8, Irving, Dave <dave.irving@logicacmg.com>:

> I know this is a long shot - but is there any way to set up more than one
> underlying IO processor?

Not yet, but we'll have to experiment if multiple I/O processors can boost
the performance in a multi-processor machine. I'm busy now implementing
StartTLS for ApacheDS, so it would be great if you can modify
SocketIoProcessor a little bit. I think the modification should not be that
hard. (~1 hr task)

Im currently working on an 8 CPU box: Overall cpu usage isn't getting
> anywhere near the limit, but after profiling, Im seeing the selector loop
> thread getting hit with quite a bit of starvation. Would there be any
> benifit in having more than one selector loop in environments with a large
> number of cpus?

AFAIK, there's no much benefit, but we have to experiment and let users
choose the number of selector loops if it can bring them any performance
gain.

Oh - just to keep you up to date with my tests: Im getting throughput of
> around 6k HTTP requests per second and see very stable behaviour right up in
> to the 7k simultaneous connections Im currently testing with. Thanks again
> for such a stable and easy to use framework!

This is great! It would be also great if we can compare Apache 2.1.x, Tomcat
5.5.x, and your MINA HTTP codec and announce the performance in my ApacheCon
US 2005 session.

Thank you for continuing contribution!
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/