directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Coding Conventions] FYI: Why I use ii, jj, kk instead of i, j, k
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:51:27 GMT
Hi Alex,

2005/11/2, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:

> Robb Penoyer was using this a while back (10 years ago in C) when I
> asked why he does not just use i,j,k and instead uses ii,jj,kk instead.
> I was just curious. He said that he can search and find these variables
> more easily in loops and he was right. I found this helpful several
> times so I adopted the convention. It does not hurt readability and
> allows me to search for loop variables easily since not every word
> contains ii, jj, or kk. If everyone likes it we can use this as a
> convention. We need to start solidifying a coding convention for the
> entire TLP.

We can still find all occurring of a variable by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+G after
placeing a cursor under a variable. :)

I think much more important than this loop variable example is to get
> everyone to use 4 spaces for tabs instead of tabs which messes up SVN.
> That should be law IMO. Many people have adjusted their editors to fix
> this issue in Java but I still see this problem all over in XML and
> properties files.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you about using 4 spaces for tab. And 2 spaces
for tab in XML files, right? It would be great if you have any good XML
editor for Eclipse that I can configure 2 spaces for tab only for XML files.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/