directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Irving, Dave" <dave.irv...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: [mina] Object serialization integration to ByteBuffer (Re: Decoding/Encoding UTF representation)
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:42:08 GMT
Hi,

I dont know if its relevant, but there is a little tip which can also be
used when using OIS / OOS which gives about a 30% speed improvement:

Dont bother writing class descriptors.

This is obviously only useful in certain usage scenarios (i.e. where
class versioning isn't an issue), but is well worth it where it applies
(maybe a config option?)

Anyway, if you want to try it out - Ive attached example code

Cheers,

Dave

________________________________

From: Trustin Lee [mailto:trustin@gmail.com]
Sent: 21 November 2005 11:25
To: Apache Directory Developers List
Subject: [mina] Object serialization integration to ByteBuffer (Re:
Decoding/Encoding UTF representation)

Hi Alex,

2005/11/19, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:

	Wish we had a nice little toolkit for using ASN1 to serialize
objects
	and deserializing them.  This would be a great place to apply
it.
	Marshalling and demarshalling would be fast on the wire.

I thought about this.  The biggest problem is that the default
ObjectInput(Output) stream is too slow.  It is because we have to create
the stream every time we call putObject or getObject.  It is a huge
performance hit IIRC from my previous projects.  So I extended
ObjectInput and Output stream for special purpose.

The idea is very good in general, but we have to find out the best way
to minimise the overhead.  I'll post a JIRA issue for this.

Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/

and inform the sender. Thank you.