directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Irving, Dave" <dave.irv...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: [mina] Refactoring MINA IoFilterChain (Was: IoFilters: DIRMINA-121 / 122)
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:01:14 GMT

> Why is it that we want to chain arbitrary filter chains into longer
chains?
> It seems that the reason for the requirement is the requirement
itself.
> But what is the reason for it?

As per Niklas' email, we'll need to support a combined sessionManager
chain, port chain and connection chain.
Is there a clean way to do this that I've missed? Im certainly not
interested in doing work for works sake :o)

> I may be mistaken, but it seems to me the whole reason for this is to
be able, eventually, to specify a chain
> in a spring based model and set it up during configuration. Am I off
the mark here?

I think the refactoring we are talking about is not related to spring
configuration per-se. In all cases, the three layers of chains will be
available to be populated by a builder or whatever. The problem we are
solving, as far as I can tell, is how to have re-usable chains of
filters (sessionManager, port, session) cleanly and efficiently (i.e,
not having to clone).

> Wouldn't it be simpler (or less disruptive) to simply configure some
other object (lets say a ChainBuilder)
> with all the filters one requires, and during execution (the call to
build) it will just add all the
> filters to the chain programmatically. No need to re-engineer
everything just one smart spring aware builder.

As above, the spring configuration is not the direct motivation for the
refactoring.

> Would this solve any of the user patterns we are trying to deal with
in here?

Niklas wants to specify re-usable port chains, and presumably its
helpful to be able to specify re-usable session manager level chains
(acceptor / connector). The problem to solve is how to cleanly hook
these chains together.
It seems that the proposed refactoring is quite a simple and transparent
way of doing this - but if I've missed an existing easy and clean way to
do this - please let me know - as I don't want to head down the wrong
path!

> Jose Alberto

Dave

and inform the sender. Thank you.