directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Irving, Dave" <dave.irv...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: [mina] Refactoring MINA IoFilterChain (Was: IoFilters: DIRMINA-121 / 122)
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:19:06 GMT
Niklas Therning wrote:

>I really like your approach, Dave. Some question though:
> What would session.getFilterChain() return? It will be sessionChain,
right?

Yes. This allows IoHandlers or who-ever to contribute to the session
chain.
They ** never ** get access to the "connection chain" (which is a
private implementation detail of SocketAcceptorDelegate etc).

> Will IoFilterChain extend IoFilter and be just another IoFilter?

Depends. I think at the moment there's not all that much need for true
composite - as Trustin says.
However, I don't think its any more or less work either way - and I
think its cleaner to have a chain as a special type of filter.
However, this ** could ** be blown away by the NextFilter problem.

> This is basically the same as nesting filter chains as I proposed
yesterday (remember the (((A, B), C), D) thingy?)
> but it's a flat list of chains instead, right?

Yeah - I think we were both talking about the same thing all along but
didn't realise it in our respective tiredness :o)

> You still have the NextFilter problem.
> As I understand it these have to be static since IoFilter.init() is
called when the filter is added to a chain.
> A NextFilter is passed to this method and the filter could remember
this for future use.

Yes - I certainly do have a NextFilter problem. This is quite similar to
the "this problem" often found when employing the decorator pattern.
Im going to spend some time this morning thinking about how we can get
round it cleanly and transparently: But I understand that support for
NextFilter caching is required, important, and must not be lost.

> I can't see how the last filter in a wrapped chain will know where to
go next if the NextFilter given
> to it can't be created dynamically.
> Remember, sessionManagerChain and portChain will be shared by many
connectionChains.

Yep - Im going to have to think about that this morning / this
afternoon.
However, I believe that finding a solution is worth it - as Im sure
we're on to a clean solution :o)

> /Niklas

Dave

and inform the sender. Thank you.