directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Irving, Dave" <dave.irv...@logicacmg.com>
Subject RE: [mina] IoFilters: DIRMINA-121 / 122
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:54:36 GMT
Hi Niklas,

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same
wavelength before I started thrashing out code :o)

I ** was ** thinking earlier that the only way we'd be able to get the
required propagation (cleanly) would be to have a new "next handler" per
chain traversal - so Im glad I didn't miss anything silly :o)
Makes much more sense now.

I think there's just one more thing to discuss / clear up about the
approach.
At first I was wondering why you wanted to pass the handler through at
all (IoSession already has a "getHandler" method).
However, this seemed to hint at the reason:

> The tail filter in a chain will always get the IoHandler from the
NextFilter and call it.
> When combining IoFilterChains A and B, B is the IoHandler of A while
the real
> IoHandler is the IoHandler of B.

Is the reason to enable a chain to masquerade as a handler, and have
transparent chain "chaining" ?).
If so, Im wondering if maybe there is a simpler way to "chain
chains"....? (E.g, if we're jumping through hoops to chain them, maybe
the "special" head and tail filters don't really belong in the chain
(per se) at all...?
That way, you'd just have something like
IoFilterChain#chain(IoFilterChain next). Any special meaning to the tail
operations would be at a higher level.
(Again, clear in my head - but that doesn't mean anything :o)

I think that's the only area that I'd like to discuss further before
knocking out the code.

Thanks again for your reply - its been really useful,

Dave

and inform the sender. Thank you.