directory-dev mailing list archives

From jerome lacoste <jerome.laco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [naming] statuses and use to replace tomcat read-only jndi
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:15:13 GMT
On 11/19/05, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> jerome lacoste wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am trying to port an application to tomcat. The application
> > currently uses JNDI to register an RMI server for webstart clients to
> > connect to. The application currently does this registration
> > dynamically, i.e. write the entry in JDNI after startup. This doesn't
> > work in JNDI because the Tomcat's JNDI is read-only.
>
> Does the initialization happen just once, at startup, or do these things
> come up and down over the life of the app?

This had to be done only once.

I investigated the issue a little bit more. I believe that I was
drifting away into technical solutions and forgot a little bit to look
at my issue at hand. Friday nights are never the best to start fixing
these kind of issues!

My real issue was to access an RMI server object, created by my web
application, from a webstart client.

After reading http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jndi/jndi-rmi.html
, I changed my server and client code to use Sun's RMI/JNDI registry
(instead of JBoss jnp one, changed the name of the node where my
object is registered and I got it working. Simple as that...

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers.

Jerome