directory-dev mailing list archives

From jerome lacoste <jerome.laco...@gmail.com>
Subject [naming] statuses and use to replace tomcat read-only jndi
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:40:13 GMT
Hi.

I am trying to port an application to tomcat. The application
currently uses JNDI to register an RMI server for webstart clients to
connect to. The application currently does this registration
dynamically, i.e. write the entry in JDNI after startup. This doesn't
work in JNDI because the Tomcat's JNDI is read-only.

I see several alternatives:
- force Tomcat's JNDI to be read-write. This can be achieved by using
some reflection tricks and a making my application priviledged.
Downsides: it adds some container dependant code to my webapp. Worse,
it might even make my Tomcat upgrades harder.

- register my JNDI service inside Tomcat in the JNDI configuration.
Once again a web container specific implementation.

- use a separate read-writeable JNDI implementation, bundled in my web
app. Here comes the Apache directory naming project. I've tried that
and so far, it looks like the packaged application is not taken into
account (Tomcat's JNDI is still used).

- change the way my webstart application and my web applications
interact. JNDI is just used to get a reference to the server through
RMI. Ditch that. E.g. I could make the stubs accessible on the server
and use a URL ClassLoader to retrieve them.

I am not 100% happy with any of the alternatives (why is Tomcat's JNDI
read-only?)?

Any idea/advice?

Statuses: latest code change on the Naming project was in April. Does
that mean that the project is stable or abandonned? (I would lean on
#1, just want some confirmation)

Cheers,

Jerome