directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Cruise <a...@cluonflux.com>
Subject Re: [MINA] Error on StreamIOHandler
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:48:18 GMT
On a related note, I'm naively considering a move to a semi-synchronous
architecture for my project and have been wondering whether MINA and
specifically StreamIOHandler are a good fit.

Specifically, I have a lot of code that expects to use InputStreams, but
parts of my code also spend a lot of time waiting for external systems
to do their business, during which time I'd prefer not to have useful
threads blocked waiting for them.

I was thinking I could extend StreamIOHandler with a "streaming" flag.
If the streaming flag were set, likely because someone had asked for an
InputStream and not closed it yet, I would fire any received data into
the Piped*Stream pairs, and if not, I would take a more event-driven
approach to handling the block.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

-0xe1a