directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [naming] statuses and use to replace tomcat read-only jndi
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:44:26 GMT
Resending as I think I messed up email subscriptions.

jerome lacoste wrote:

> [...]
> I am not 100% happy with any of the alternatives (why is Tomcat's JNDI
> read-only?)?

Because it is part of the J2EE specifications. The environment must be
read-only for applications.

"Each application component defines its own set of environment entries.
All instances of an application component within the same container
share the same environment entries. Application component instances are
not allowed to modify the environment at runtime."

It makes sense otherwise if you store state information in the jndi tree
and that it is shared by all instances of the same webapp, you're just
potentially breaking everything and security is a problem. The
environment is supposed to be configurable by the deployer only.

See Chapter 5 (Naming) for more details.

> Statuses: latest code change on the Naming project was in April. Does
> that mean that the project is stable or abandonned? (I would lean on
> #1, just want some confirmation)

AFAIK it is a copy of Tomcat code. Nothing else for now. And it does not
work for remote invocation, so what would be needed is to make it
remotable...and why not writable as it is very useful for testing
purposes (but one should take care of the scope !)

Stephane