directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Moving Prefs SPI OSGi bundle to Apache Felix
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:25:24 GMT
Hi, Directory developers,

Some time ago Alex wrote a JDK Prefs service provider implementation
(SPI) that is backed by the Directory project's JNDI provider.  This is
currently in the apacheds core.  Some time ago, I also began an OSGi
wrapper for the aforementioned SPI, since the OSGi service platform spec
defines lightweight interfaces for making prefs implementations plug
into an OSGi backplane.

I am writing to propose that we wrap up this implementation and "donate"
the OSGi bundle to the Apache Felix project.  By doing so we not only
increase inter-project collaboration at the ASF and support the
incubating Felix project, but we also gain another avenue for ApacheDS
embedding.  This is a classic win-win scenario.

Being fully mavenized, the SPI and, of course, JNDI provider, will
remain at Directory and only the OSGi Prefs wrapper will move to Felix.

If there are no objections, I'll announce on the Apache Felix list that
we intend to do this work and then Alex and I and any other volunteers
will work to complete it.  This is a minor amount of work, but an amount
still needs to fit in with everything else we're doing.

Enrique