directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Using Eclipse for ApacheDS Building
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:04:04 GMT
Hi Lyndon,

Sorry about the turmoil.  Right now we're preparing the SVN structure of
several projects used to build ApacheDS to support Maven 2.  As Enrique
mentioned in other emails this is required to start using the Felix OSGi
plugin so we can gear up for an ApacheDS release (0.9.4) based on OSGi.

There will be some pain to come in the trunks for a while.  Hopefully we
can also find a better way to organize the repository's layout so users
can easily import the project with all dependencies into their favorite
IDE without much hassle.  Again this will create some more pain.

Perhaps the best thing to do at this point would be to work off of
tagged releases like the 0.9.3 release of apacheds which uses 0.3.3
ASN.1 tags, the 0.4 ntp tag, the 0.6 kerberos and changepw tags.  You
can always just look inside the project.xml of ApacheDS main to see the
different tagged dependencies.

BTW any suggestions are welcome to help us better organize the repo so
contributors and committers can easily work with it and in their IDE.
At the present moment we're considering a flat project layout with a
single trunk where projects use their package names (similar to Eclipse
OSGi plugins/bundles).  A single command to generate Eclipse or IDEA
project descriptors can then be used.  Then all projects can be imported
into an IDE in one shot.

Thanks,
Alex