directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGi RoadMap
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:56:14 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> John E. Conlon wrote:
>
>> Did not see any reference to OSGi in the Directory RoadMap at
>> http://docs.safehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2394
>>
>> Can anyone shed some light on the current idea for when/if the Directory
>> will support OSGi container?  Previous dev traffic (i.e. - Another
>> release (0.9.2) before we introduce OSGi) gave the impression it would
>> be soon after the 0.9.2 ?
>>

> We're going to try to get 0.9.4 out with OSGi and m2 builds.  We might
> even flatten the directory structure a bunch in an eclipse like fashion
> with package names for projects.  We're getting ready.  I think its
> probably safe to say that OSGi will come in 0.9.4.

John,

The sticking point was lack of support for some key bundle building
features in Maven ... which got addressed this week with the Felix M2
Plugin.  With that hurdle cleared we have started updating directories
to follow the M2 standard layout and we'll start adding pom.xml's in
parallel to the project.xml's.

You'll also see us break up the core into finer-grained subprojects so
we can address different use cases.  For example, we have a JDK Prefs
SPI implementation in the core that will spin off and be used to provide
the OSGi Preferences Service backed by just the JNDI provider.

Enrique