directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: LDAP v3 Paged Results Control
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:54:27 GMT
Van Nhu wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I am trying to implement a Virtual Directory. Because
>the Virtual Directory will not store any information
>itself, its primary job is to split and redirect the
>LDAP requests to each of the contributing data
>sources, and merge the result sets when responding to
>a search request, so I am leaning towards using just
>MINA plus a cut down version of the LDAP Provider (as
>opposed to using the full ApacheDS) to do the job.

That works.

>One of the requirements is that the Virtual Directory
>must suppsdort the LDAP v3 Paged Results Control (RFC
>2696). But I am having problems reading this control
>inside the
>org.apache.ldap.server.protocol.support.SearchHandler
>class.

Care to contribute this code and/or work on it here in the ldap protocol
handler?

>When my LDAP client invokes the following methods on
>the LDAP Context:
>    ctx.setRequestControls( new Control[] {new
>PagedResultsControl( pageSize ) } );
>    ctx.search( … );
>
>...I receive an empty Control[] array with this line
>of code inside the SearchHandler:
>    Control[] reqCtls = ( Control[] )
>req.getControls().toArray( EMPTY );

Yeah controls are not fully functional just yet. Lot's of work to do in
there.

>Likewise, I thought that if my LDAP client sets:
>    jndiEnv.put( Context.REFERRAL, "ignore");
>...before connecting to the Virtual Directory with:
>    ctx = new InitialLdapContext(jndiEnv, null);
>
>Then this line inside the BindHandler:
>    Control[] reqCtls = ( Control[] )
>req.getControls().toArray( EMPTY );
>...should return an array that contains the
>com.sun.jndi.ldap.ManageReferralControl, but instead
>it returns an empty array like the previous case.

Yep that's the expected behavoir at this point. We need to build up this
aspect of the LDAP protocol provider.

>I suspect that there is a bug in the ASN1

Nope we have no controls or support for controls yet.

>coder/decoder where the LDAP controls are not being
>processed correctly, and would really appreciate if
>someone could shed some light on this.

We'd have to add that.

>By the way, I am using ApacheDS with subversion
>revision number 330381 checked out from the main
>trunk.

Alex