directory-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: [mina] Using Ant + Forrest like Tapestry team does.
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:40:49 GMT

> on the Felix project, one user stated coming from the Ivy/Ant setup...

Also (this user - yours truely) is currently using Apache Forrest for
internal project documentation as well.

My comment on 'light years' relates to the simplified approach to the
build that the central pom.xml of the M2-osgi-plugin gives me as well as
the ease of deployment/upgrade of OSGi bundles. The comment was by no
means meant as a knock against any of the other technologies. On the
contrary Ivy* and Forrest** each in its own sphere can accomplish more
than M2 for dependency management and documentation respectively. But
learning, keeping current, and maintaining the infrastructure has been a
challenge. Now I am still kicking the tires with M2/OSGi and have not
yet migrated my projects to from Ant/Ivy,Forrest, but I am hopeful that
if I need something special I could use the M2 plugin technology (now
Java based) to integrate with one or more of these technologies to get
what I currently have but in a more integrated fashion.

* Jayasoft (Home of Ivy) is on the JSR 277 expert group and hopefully
can help standardize some of their excellent Ivy technology features
which I expect will make their way into M2.
See: http://jayasoft.org/ivy/doc/comparison for a comparison of Ivy to
other technologies including M1 & M2.

** Forrest (sub project of Cocoon)
Currently I call Forrest in my ANT builds with:
<target
       name="docs"
       depends="test, javadocs, jdepend, generate-docs, doc-schema,
build-docs"
       description="Builds all the documentation.">
          <ant antfile="${env.FORREST_HOME}/forrest.antproxy.xml"
               target="site"/>
</target>

So I expect even with out doing M2 plugins it will be easy to call
forrest's ant build from M2 if I have to.
Another positive development is that the Forrest/Cocoon dev folks are,
like ApacheDS moving toward OSGi, so we can all look forward to having
Cocoon bundles in the OSGi quiver when heavy duty production XML/XSL
pipelining is needed.

thanks again to all the ApacheDs/Mina team,
John