Jerome,

Yes, in standalone mode it isn't an issue.

For embedded, you could switch your underlying implementation if needed. It would, however, be against the very purpose of the SLF4J facade to adopt a secondary logging frameworking by switching to a slf4j alternative logger because your logging library of choice was log4j!

Also, it introduces some policing to ensure that nlog4j and log4j are not on the same classpath. It's another factor which could be gotten wrong.

As Emmanuel said in reply to your email, Ceki is thinking on this right now.

Cheers,
Nick