Hi,

I apologize for my late response first of all.

2005/9/23, Jacob S. Barrett <jacobba@attachmate.com>:
Trustin Lee wrote:
> 2005/9/21, Jacob Barrett <JacobBa@attachmatewrq.com
> <mailto:JacobBa@attachmatewrq.com>>:
>
>     The source behind this (AbstractContextFactory) though expects one of
>     the Configuration objects in the env, and from what I can tell there
>     isn't one that just locates a directory by it's instance id.
>

> You can simply use StartupConfiguration because ApacheDS will ignore the
> request if the service is already started up.  It will also return a
> JNDI context with an appropriate running user as you specified in your
> StartupConfiguration.

Yeah, but since I want others that are not familiar to the ApacheDS to
be able to access the context that I have already setup for them in
process I was hoping for something a little more simple.

I have started making a few alterations.  I added an env value
"org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.service.instance" to specify the env you
want.  If that value is not set and there is no cfg set then it will try
to load the "default" instance.  This is a short term fix in my mind
though.  When I get a bit more time I would like to use the provider URL
for this since that is more appropriate.  Something along the lines of
must have a scheme followed by a colon the second option fits that
format, it is just odd to have arbitrarily named schemes.  Regardless of
format the AbstractContextFactory would strip out the instance from the
URL and and pass the remainder of the URL up to the context like it does
now.

Your idea on letting users provide instanceId in an url is great.  I've filed this issue to JIRA:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIREVE-270

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/