From: Stefan Zoerner [mailto:szoerner@apache.org]
Sent: den 20 oktober 2005 20:31
To: Apache Directory Developers List
Subject: Re: Newbe help - startup problems....

Hi Jesper!

Jesper Söderlund wrote:
> Not much more success there unfortunatly it complained that alot of
> classes were missing when I took the HEAD version in source repository.

As I have written, the current version of the file (i.e. the version which belongs to the last revision within subversion) does not work with

0.9.2 (and below) because it already references to components which have been implemented in order to meet the requirements in 0.9.3. This is probably the cause for your missing classes.

In my test environment, the file in svn revision 240160, checked out by

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/directory/apacheds/trunk/main/server.xml?rev=240160

worked well with the 0.9.2 release. The server started without any problem and I was able to connect with an arbitrary LDAP client.

> I did start the 0.9 release successfully and this will probably
> suffice for me for the time beeing until the 0.9.X-branch can be made
> to work for more beginning users.

I would highly recommend to use a newer version, because we have fixed several major bugs since 0.9. Just give it a try -- you'll get any help you need to get it up and running (the developers here on the list are very helpful). It is also possible to use the current 0.9.3 snapshot, which is available here

http://cvs.apache.org/repository/directory/jars/

> Thanks!
> /Jesper

User feedback is always appreciated. Especially from beginners, because we obviously have to improve end user experience. But I am probably not wrong when I assume that you are a skilled person. Why else should you want to run an LDAP server ;-)

Greetings from Hamburg + Sorry for the inconvenience,
     Stefan