directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <SZOER...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Newbe help - startup problems....
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:18:49 GMT
Hi Jesper!

Jesper Söderlund wrote:

> yes that is the client Im was using.
> I downloaded the Jxplorer and i seed much more powerful, it had
meaningful error messages if nothing else.

It is at least the best platform independent tool I know. Softerra LDAP
Administrator is 1st choice in my commercial life, but it is Windows only
and it is not free (but It is definitely worth the money from my point of
view). Unfortunately, there are no Eclipse plug ins available yet which
can keep up with these two.

> Anyway thanks for the enourmous patience with a newbe. It seemed to have
been a problem with the "Base DN" setting when I used the LDAP
Browser/Editor.

This is what this list is for. User feedback allows us to improve the
software. In this case it allows us to make it usable at all. Hence *we*
have to say Thank you! As you might have noticed I have opened a JIRA task
to keep the documentation up to date for the upcoming 0.9.3 release, Alex
wrote about.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIREVE-278
But this is just a first step in providing better user experience. Stay
tuned!

> Unfortunatly I can almost guarantee that I will call upon you expertise
before long as I explore LDAP technology and explore it using Apache DS.

You are welcome. Many (most?) of our users seem to embed our server in
their own solutions, or extend it with own partitions, interceptors and so
on. So they have a totally different view than you. Our community will
definitely benefit from people like you who use the LDAP server "off the
shelf". Just drop an E-Mail if any problem arises.

> Again, thanks!
> /Jesper

Greetings from Hamburg,
    Stefan