directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: upgrading to nlog4j.1.2.17
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:59:24 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Once you understand Paul Hammant's argument of "No Logging",
> things get very clear indeed.

You refer to http://paulhammant.com/blog/000241.html.  Nowhere in there does
it call for Log4J or any other logging interface.  It basically works by
proliferating interfaces from the component author to the embedder.
Whenever I embed something with its own monitor interface, someone needs to
build the adapter between how it monitors and how I log.  Lovely.

However, as Paul says: "the main point is the proper way to abstract logging
type and destination is to hide all logging implementation behind an
interface."  I agree.  And at this point, since we have a standard, perhaps
it is time to follow Tomcat's lead: ditch all other logging APIs, and use
the standard.  If the standard needs change, that can happen via the JCP.
Log4J and others would still have their place as implementations of the
standard, but as APIs they would go away.

	--- Noel