directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <>
Subject [mina][ANN] MINA 0.8 Released: The first stable release
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:38:57 GMT
The Apache Directory team proudly announces the release of MINA, a network
application framework, version 0.8.

Apache MINA (Multipurpose Infrastructure for Network Applications, is a network application
framework which helps users develop network applications easily by providing
abstractions of network and protocol I/O layers.

The MINA project website includes resources such as a PDF introduction to
MINA ( and an
online tutorial (, which
includes implementation of the echo protocol, as well as an implementation
of a "reverse echo" to show how MINA can process data.

Feture List:

* Unified and extensible API for various transport types (TCP and UDP)
* In-VM pipe communication
* Provides both low-level and high-level API
* Stream-based asynchronous I/O support
* Filter interface as an extension point; similar to Servlet filters
* SSL support via SSLFilter thanks to Java 5 SSLEngine
* Built-in thread pool
* Unit-test your protocol without network connection
* Smooth migration from Netty, a popular NIO framework

Changes since 0.7.4:

* StartTLS support
* Improved connection idleness notification
* Better support for connectionless transport types (e.g. Datagram)
* Prioritized session handling via a thread pool
* Changed the logging framework to SLF4J (
* Several bug fixes