directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trustin Lee <trus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Problems with using nextInterceptor.xxxx()
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:45:56 GMT
Hi Alex,

2005/10/16, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net>:

> The search() method (and list() also) is very special in terms of
> interceptor handling. Special, because both these operations produce
> NamingEnumerations. The enumerations once returned by the proxy, are
> used to retrieve entries. Calls to next() on enumerations invoke code
> that executes behind the nexus proxy even though the "interception"
> process is over. Let me show the steps that lead to this
> IndexOutOfBoundsException:
>
> 1). A search() is invoked on a ServerDirContext
> 2). ServerDirContext transforms some arguments and forwards call to a
> search() method on the DirectoryPartitionNexusProxy
> (a) Proxy pushes a search operation Invocation onto InvocationStack:
> this Invocation object contains a handle to the JNDI context used to
> initiate the search() operation
> (b) Proxy then forwards the search() call to InterceptorChain
> 3). InterceptorChain after invoking search() on all interceptors finally
> calls search() on the DirectoryPartitionNexus which returns a
> NamingEnumeration
> 4). While returning through all the interceptors in the chain, the
> NamingEnumeration returned by the nexus is wrapped by one or more
> interceptors using a SearchResultFilteringEnumeration.
> 5). The wrapped NamingEnumeration returns from the call to the
> InterceptorChain
> 6). The proxy then pops the Invocation stack (so the stack is empty)
> 7). Calls are made to the enumeration's next() method
> (a) accept() methods of SearchResultFilters are invoked. These
> SearchResultFilters are usually defined as inner classes within an
> Interceptor and they have access to the Interceptor's members and methods.
> (b) accept() methods invoke the ACDFEngine to determine whether or not
> to return an entry, remove attributes, or just values from attributes
> (c) ACDFEngine calls nextInterceptor.xxxx() to do its job
> (d) Downstream interceptors peek() on the empty InvocationStack to
> produce IndexOutOfBoundsExceptions

I understood it fully thanks to your great explanation.

What does all this mean in the end? We cannot invoke
> nextInterceptor.xxxx() methods from within SearchResultFilter.accept()
> methods since they *can* execute when the stack is empty. There are two
> choices for us:
>
> 1). Call the nexus directly
> 2). Call the nexus proxy
>
> The first option is risky. It does not take into account things managed
> by other interceptors like entries that are marked deleted but have yet
> to be deleted. Or for example when operational attributes like
> modifyTimestamp are updated. These would all have to be managed
> manually and there would be much code duplication defeating the purpose
> for these interceptors.

Yes, it is risky and should be performed only when it is required without
questions.

The second option is a PITA because we have to figure out the identity
> that we must execute the code as. Sometimes it should be as the user
> that is performing the search and sometimes it should be as the admin to
> access sensitive internal server information. If it is the admin then
> we have to authenticate as the admin or do we? Perhaps admin access can
> be rigged in somehow without requiring authentication? See how this
> becomes a problem.

Yes, we can modify the users identity temporarilly. In case of search, I
think it is a right way to go.

So do you have any ideas here? I know this is a lot of stuff. I'm just
> not doing too well with ideas at the moment. Hopefully you have a quick
> nice solution in mind already :-).

I'll modify DirectoryService (or DirectoryServiceConfiguration) to provide
more getter methods such as getProxiedPartitionNexus() besides
getJndiContext(). WDYT?

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/