directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Faiz <n...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: upgrading to nlog4j.1.2.17
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:37:22 GMT
Hi Ceki,

Well, this is a troubling response.

My main issue is that, up until now, the classpath conflict between
nlog4j and log4j has not been stated. We have discussed the fact that
nlog4j code requires nlog4j on the classpath but not the classpath
conflict. It is, however, only an API incompatibility, and I think
that we can quite easily perform a refactor to roll back to log4j, if
we need to.

Given the constraint that it is now an either/or scenario between
log4j and nlog4j, if ApacheDS were to be embedded in an existing
log4j application, the log4j jar would have to be removed. I see this
as an insurmountable problem, for many applications. I can understand
why it is present, now that you have explained it, but I wish it
would have been stated earlier.

On 10/10/2005, at 6:59 PM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> The test suite also reproduces a well known compatibility problem.
> Code compiled against nlog4j.jar will not run with log4j.jar on the
> class path.

This has never been stated before, I cannot see how it has been well
known. Indeed, our latest emails have attempted to overcome this
problem. See your reply on the 13th of September, (in attachment). If
we had this information before, we would have had an immediate answer
to our questions.

I cannot help but think you have only just now discovered that there
is a classpath conflict. I am glad, all the same, that you have made
the point. We can, at least, now make an informed decision (again)
about which logging framework to use.

> Regarding the message "Problem embedding 0.92 ApacheDS" posted by Thom
> Park, unless I am missing something obvious, it looks like that Thom
> is using log4j.jar instead of nlog4j.jar. We have already established
> that that won't work, for the simple reason that log4j does not offer
> SLF4J support.

Well, it won't work because of what is mentioned above.

> As a side note, Thom mentioned that he had followed the "instructions
> in the doc for embedding ApacheDS". Which doc is that? I could not
> find it, but admittedly I did not search for long.

I will have to follow up on this document.

> Nick, would you concur with the above assessment?

Well, most of this makes sense now. In light of the classpath
conflict mentioned above, we could not possibly expect ApacheDS to be
embedded with existing log4j applications without causing errors.

I, for one, am in favour of rolling back to log4j. I know that I
won't have the option of removing log4j from certain applications
which I would like to experiment with, using ApacheDS.

I'll discuss this further with the ApacheDS guys.

Cheers,
Nick