directory-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [naming] Enable Remote JNDI Access
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:32:39 GMT
Jeremy Whitlock wrote:
> Hey all,
>      I would like to use directory-naming in my application but I need
> to enable remote access to the in-memory JNDI provided by
> directory-naming.  It would be great to have a user have a PROVIDER_URL
> of jndi://host:port and get a reference to the JNDI provided on the
> server by directory-naming.  Can someone assist me with this?

Why not use ldap into ADS directly?  If the problem is that [naming]
supports some things not provided by ADS (resource factories?) then it
would make sense to do what Noel suggested some time ago, i.e., to
integrate naming into ADS and use ldap to provide the remote access.
Otherwise, we end up needing to invent another remote binding and
transport protocol, which may not be the best idea.

If what you are after is the resources, a practical issue is that these
are mostly returned by [naming] and other JNDI providers as *references*
to locally generated resource instances - e.g., database connection
pools.  Making use of these resources remotely requires a change in
their programming model.  Not impossible, but requires that the resource
providers and interface specs currently supported by [naming] be
redesigned.  For things like database connection pools, manageability
and security would be problematic.

What is your application trying to do?

Phil