directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: DN like "ou=test+ou=test2,cn=whatever,..."
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:03:53 GMT
Jérôme Baumgarten wrote:

> RFC 2253 Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): UTF-8 String
> Representation of Distinguished Names
>
> Section "3. Parsing a String back to a Distinguished Name" says the
> following :
>
>distinguishedName = [name]                    ; may be empty string
>
>name       = name-component *("," name-component)
>
>name-component = attributeTypeAndValue *("+" attributeTypeAndValue)
>

>attributeTypeAndValue = attributeType "=" attributeValue
>
> but i do not know if you can use several times the same attributeType,
> might be in the RFC but (sorry) I do not have the time to read through
> the full RFC.

If there is no clear message that says types cannot be equal in ...

name       = name-component *("," name-component)

then I think its allow.  There are some revision documents from the LDAPBIS working
group that might mention something.  Here is the homepage for the charter:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ldapbis-charter.html

Alex