directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: DN like "ou=test+ou=test2,cn=whatever,..."
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 23:00:14 GMT
Hi Emmanuel!

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> working late, I see ;)
I'm on my way to bed ...

> I have a question for you, which is not related to Softera, but address
> your as an experienced Ldap fellow.
>
> Are DN like "ou=test+ou=test2,cn=whatever,..." allowed ?
>
> Thanks a lot for any answer. ( but a "NO" would be very cool ;)

I need to check it in the specs, but the bad news is that I was able to
create this entry

dn: ou=Judean Peoples Front+ou=Peoples Front of Judea,o=SevenSeas.org
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: top
ou: Peoples Front of Judea
ou: Judean Peoples Front

within my Tivoli Directory Server 6.0 instance (the first vendor I
tried). It is therefore almost certain, that it is allowed by the
standards. But there are probably vendors who do not allow it (by schema
restrictions, for instance). E.g. Active Directory does not allow an
attribute as RDN, if it has multiple values within the entry (even one
of the values is not allowed).

More details to come, after sweet dreams != RFCs.
Greeting from Hamburg at night, Stefan