directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DNS zones in the LDAP namespace
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:29:37 GMT
Hi,

Regarding locating DNS zones and Kerberos realms in the DIT, I think I
found the approach I'd like to take.  Basically, you can have zones and
realms anywhere in the DIT.  The DNS protocol provider will find zones
by searching with filter (|(objectClass=dcObject)(objectClass=domain))
and the Kerberos protocol provider will find realms by searching with
filter (objectClass=krb5Realm).  objectClass'es dcObject and krb5Realm
are AUXILIARY so you can put them anywhere.  You'll want objectClass set
as an indexed attribute in your partition configuration.  This would
replace the "layer-of-indirection" I mentioned, below.  Other than using
these objectClass'es in your namespace, you will have to configure what
partitions are "active" for zone and realm serving.  So, if you have
more than one partition, the providers won't have to do any goofy
rootDSE interrogation or unnecessary searching.  I'll wait until later
this coming week to see if any of the more experienced namespace/schema
folks have more feedback.

Enrique