directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jesper Söderlund <Jesper.Soderl...@smarttrust.com>
Subject RE: Newbe help - startup problems....
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:01:35 GMT
Ok, I'll go for the 0.9.3 snapshot.

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/directory/apacheds/trunk/main/server.xml?rev=312724&view=markup
+
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/directory/jars/ apacheds-main-0.9.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

When I launched the directory server it just had a minor complaint about the logging system:

D:\programfiles\apache\apacheds-0.9.2>java -jar apacheds-main-0.9.3-SNAPSHOT.jar server3.xml
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.ldap.server.ServerMain).

Then nothing more.

When I tried to connect to the server it could not (I'm using LDAP Browser/editor v2.8.2).

I checked that the property "ldapPort" on the org.apache.ldap.server.configuration.MutableServerStartupConfiguration
was correct with what my client used.

The 0.9.0 release printed a short message that the server was successfully started when it
was done. Is that still expected from the 0.9.3 release?

Rgds,
/Jesper

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Zoerner [mailto:szoerner@apache.org]
Sent: den 20 oktober 2005 20:31
To: Apache Directory Developers List
Subject: Re: Newbe help - startup problems....

Hi Jesper!

Jesper Söderlund wrote:
> Not much more success there unfortunatly it complained that alot of
> classes were missing when I took the HEAD version in source repository.

As I have written, the current version of the file (i.e. the version which belongs to the
last revision within subversion) does not work with
0.9.2 (and below) because it already references to components which have been implemented
in order to meet the requirements in 0.9.3. This is probably the cause for your missing classes.

In my test environment, the file in svn revision 240160, checked out by

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/directory/apacheds/trunk/main/server.xml?rev=240160

worked well with the 0.9.2 release. The server started without any problem and I was able
to connect with an arbitrary LDAP client.

> I did start the 0.9 release successfully and this will probably
> suffice for me for the time beeing until the 0.9.X-branch can be made
> to work for more beginning users.

I would highly recommend to use a newer version, because we have fixed several major bugs
since 0.9. Just give it a try -- you'll get any help you need to get it up and running (the
developers here on the list are very helpful). It is also possible to use the current 0.9.3
snapshot, which is available here

http://cvs.apache.org/repository/directory/jars/

> Thanks!
> /Jesper

User feedback is always appreciated. Especially from beginners, because we obviously have
to improve end user experience. But I am probably not wrong when I assume that you are a skilled
person. Why else should you want to run an LDAP server ;-)

Greetings from Hamburg + Sorry for the inconvenience,
     Stefan