directory-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Slocinski <>
Subject Re: [mina] Is UDP connectionless or stateless?
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:43:51 GMT
On 10/17/05, Trustin Lee <> wrote:
> Hi,
> We are using the term 'stateless' for the transport types such as UDP/IP.
> But I'm a little bit confused which one is correct; connectionless and
> stateless.
> Can we safely say that UDP is connectionless?  Can we say protocols based on
> UDP are stateless?

I agree with sentence that UDP is connectionless - applications based
on that doesn't maintain persistent connection object - they just send
packets into the network willing that addressee will receive it. Are
UDP-based protocols stateless? I don't think this is general rule. I
can imagine protocols and applications that keep state basing on
received UDP datagrams and change state of application when some
specific datagrams arrive. Take RADIUS as an example - accounting
specification defines 3 types of packets: Accounting-Start,
Interim-Update and Accounting-Stop. I believe all of applications
based on RADIUS changes state of their internal objects when receiving
such packets :-)

best regards,

View raw message