directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: upgrading to nlog4j.1.2.17
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:37:54 GMT
On Thursday 13 October 2005 00:27, Trustin Lee wrote:
> I was talking about the original monitor pattern which is different from
> yours. It abstracts all log messages into individual hook methods.

Ok, perhaps we read material differently. To the letter, you right of course,
but I see a subtle underlying message;

 * Don't "depend" in your code.
 * Isolate your dependencies (you still need them) to as few locations
   as possible, and you will gain immensely architecturally.

I think that message is much more important than the details about the
monitors that is used. Monitors as described will explode the number of
needed classes, and becomes un-manageable in no time (as I think this project
is aware of).

> if we're going to use dynamic discovery mechanism to find an
> appropriate logging framework.

Point is; don't.

For standalone use, you can set it in advance. You may give your users a
couple of choice, then introduce a simple selector mechanism, all prewired
and ready to go.

For embedded use, put in the setProvider() method in the OurLogFactory which
then instead delegate the creation to a factory instance that the embeddor
provides.

Cheers
Niclas