directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][Release] Remaining JIRA issues for 0.9.3 roadmap
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:23:01 GMT
Yo,

> [2] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIREVE-163 (Emmanuel)
>
> 2 - JPEG corruption issue: this is an ugly one so we'll need status on it
> [2] I think is involved and can be pushed out if it's not going to be done
> within the next 24 hours.

This is really a simple but ugly one. After more or lmess two month of
"evaluation", here is its status :
- the reason why Jpeg (and any other binary element) are not well
handled is that the decoders are transforming every value to a String.
This is, of course, not the right thing to do
- it leads to another correlated problem, Strings are encoded as simple
Strings, not UTF-8 Strings. This is also a problem
- then, we need to control the HR tags (Human Readable) into the
SchemaService methods before doing any transformation of any value that
are OctetString (see RFC 2251)
- Last, but not least, we have to deal with DN normalization, if any
binary attribute is to be used - I bet this is possible -. As those
attributes will be encoded with a # followed by the hexadecimal String,
we have to check that this attribute is binary or not.

Not to mention that a huge regression test has to be done...

I've currently created a new branch (called xxx-utf8) to deal with all
those problems, and the impact on the code will be huge.

I really don't think that it will be a simple and easy patch, so I just
suggest that this 0.9.3 release should be delivered without it.

PS: I learnt the hard way that this kind of patch need a very deep
knowledge of the whole system, this is one of the reason it took so
long. The positive point is that I understand much more parts or
ApacheDS, but this is still a rough trip ;). We really need more people
being involved in the guts of ApacheDS !

-- Emmanuel