directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject RE: upgrading to nlog4j.1.2.17
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:09:14 GMT
On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 11:59 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
<snip/>
> And at this point, since we have a standard, perhaps
> it is time to follow Tomcat's lead: ditch all other logging APIs, and use
> the standard.  If the standard needs change, that can happen via the JCP.
> Log4J and others would still have their place as implementations of the
> standard, but as APIs they would go away.

Not that this thread is boring, but I think that pros/cons of using
slf4j/log4j/nlog4j/whatever4j could be posted to the best mailing list
for that : log4XXX-dev or log4XXX-user mailing lists.

As far as ApacheDS is concerned, and it seems to be, there is no urge to
change a choice made back in July, 6. We have a 1.0 version to deliver,
and we can still change things between the 1.0-beta and 1.0 GA.

Right now, I'm sure that Alex will give us some clue about how to embed
ApacheDS in another application, including the way the logging system
should be used, as he will have a session at San Diego ApacheCon US 2005
(http://apachecon.com/2005/US/html/sessions.html#1510) (Yeah !)

PS : Ceki, Log4j still rocks ! I personally never met a project using
Java SDK logging... Darwin again ?

-- Emmanuel