directory-dev mailing list archives

From Norbet Reilly <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject Aparent double escaping problem
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 02:29:25 GMT
Hi,

I have observed a strange problem in implementing a custom partition that
proxies to another remote LDAP server: the results of search() operations
have blanks replaced with "%20" so that JXplorer is unable to explore them.
The temporary solution I have in place is to wrap the original search
results returned by the remote server using the following class:

============================
/**
* ApacheDS seems to have a bug where SearchResult s with relative DNs
* have URL encoding applied twice, so blanks come out as %20.
*/
public static final class AvoidEscapingNamingEnumeration
implements NamingEnumeration
{
private final String baseDN;
private final NamingEnumeration ne;

public AvoidEscapingNamingEnumeration(final String baseDN,
final NamingEnumeration ne)
{
this.baseDN = baseDN;
this.ne <http://this.ne> = ne;
}

public void close() throws NamingException
{
ne.close();
}

public boolean hasMore() throws NamingException
{
return ne.hasMore();
}

public Object next() throws NamingException
{
final SearchResult sr = (SearchResult)ne.next();
final String fullDN;
final SearchResult sr2;
final String name = sr.getName();

if (!sr.isRelative() || (name == null) || "".equals(name))
return sr;
fullDN = name + "," + baseDN;
sr.setName(fullDN);
sr.setRelative(false);
return sr;
}

public boolean hasMoreElements()
{
try
{
return hasMore();
}
catch (NamingException e)
{
log.error(this.getClass().getName()
+ ": error in hasMoreElements", e);
return false;
}
}

public Object nextElement()
{
try
{
return next();
}
catch (NamingException e)
{
log.error(this.getClass().getName()
+ ": error in nextElement", e);
return null;
}
}
}
==========================

where the search method itself looks like this:

==========================
public NamingEnumeration search(Name base, final Map env,
final ExprNode filter, final SearchControls searchControls)
throws NamingException
{
final String deref = (String)env.get("java.naming.ldap.derefAliases");
final int scope = searchControls.getSearchScope();
String attrIds[] = searchControls.getReturningAttributes();
final String newFilter;
final StringBuffer sb;
final String baseDn;
final String[] attrNames;
final String last;

if (attrIds == null)
attrIds = BLANK_ATTRS;
sb = new StringBuffer();
filter.printToBuffer(sb);
newFilter = sb.toString();
baseDn = base.toString();

last = base.get(0);
if (! "dc=etadb".equals(last))
{
// don't want to change name seen by outside world
base = (Name)base.clone();
base.add("dc=etadb");
}

attrNames = normaliseAttrNames(attrIds);
final SearchControls sc = new SearchControls();
sc.setSearchScope(scope);
sc.setReturningAttributes(attrNames);
sc.setDerefLinkFlag(Boolean.valueOf(deref).booleanValue());
final NamingEnumeration ne = _ctx.search(base, newFilter, sc);
return new AvoidEscapingNamingEnumeration(baseDn, ne);
}

so it seems whatever is doing the escaping leaves results with full DNs
alone (note that just setting sr.setRelative(false) has no effect by
itself). I'm not familiar enough with the DS architecture yet to work out
where the escaping is occurring and hence come up with a better fix.

Thanks