directory-dev mailing list archives

From Norbet Reilly <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject dynamic schema support
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 06:10:55 GMT
Hi DS-ers,
 I have been using ApacheDS for a couple of weeks and I'm enjoying the ride
so far. It seems the initial focus has been flexibility at the front-end,
and pluggability at the back-end will be eased when OSGi support is added in
a future release.
 My immediate concern is supporting a custom back-end LDAP partition which
has its own schema, prior to the availability of RFC 3672 support (which
sounds like it will smooth the way in the future). I have plugged in my
custom LDAP AbstractContextPartition successfully (using the IETF LDAP
classes to convert JNDI back to LDAP) and have written some support classes
which fetch the remote org.ietf.ldap.LDAPSchema (during doInit() using some
credentials known from the partition's configuration properties) and
internalise it into the
org.apache.ldap.server.schema.GlobalRegistriesinstance (noting in the
future AbstractBootstrapProducer should ideally
inherit from an abstract intermediate class to ease writing of classes like
mine which create non-bootstrap instances of classes extending
AbstractAttributeType/AbstractSchemaObject etc) . ...what a sentence...
 My question is: what is the best way to get the ApacheDS server's
org.apache.ldap.server.schema.SchemaService to notice that additions have
been made to the GlobalRegistries. I notice the addition of
AddContextPartitionConfiguration in ApacheDS 0.9.2, but I'm not sure hwo to
configure its use via an ApacheDS configuration file (or even if it is
indeed the answer to my problems). Failing that the only other approach I
can think of is to get the startup infrastructure to create a back-end
InitialContext very early so that my custom partition is queried for its
schema just after the bootstrap schemas are processed, which sounds a very
experimental path to follow.
 Note that attempting to refresh the schema via JXplorer never seems to have
any effect (I imagine that somewhere in the server it is assumed that there
are only bootstrap schemas).
 Any guidance would be very much appreciated!
 Thanks