directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Giampaolo Tomassoni" <>
Subject R: ACIs update
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:15:08 GMT
Thank you very much for kindly replying to my message.

> Da: Alex Karasulu []
> >Also, am I right in believing this project is aimed to produce a
> general-purpose (LDAP) directory server? Or are its purposes
> anything else (like being a piece of a bigger product)?
> >

> Yes and yes to both questions.  ApacheDS can server as a simple general
> purpose LDAP servber but it is much more than that.  It is also a
> Kerberos server as well.  Soon users will have the ability to toggle
> other services on as they need them like DNS, DHCP, Change password
> etc.  If users need just a directory they can only turn on the LDAP
> service and other parts can be turned off.

That seems interesting to me: I would see a couple of usefull application for DNS-LDAP integration.

> Long story short ... ApacheDS will provide services similar to a Windows
> Server except it is intended for any platform.   This is for
> facilitating a netork information system in a single server process
> without having all the moving parts.  Windows calls this the Domain
> Controller.  We, thanks to Enrique Rodriguez who coined the term, call
> it the Realm Controller.

Ok, that's really interesting. Of course it is due to the Realm Controller target, but also
because this mean you will have to implement database replication, right?

I'm asking this because it is one importan feature with respect to my needs (a small ISP which
would like to sell coordinated mail services) which seems to me actually not even touched
in this mailing list.

Do you have any timeline for a more-fledged product (which means to me: LDAP with ACI and

> Alex

Thank you,

View raw message