directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Oscar Herrera" <oherr...@studiocom.com>
Subject [mina] Upgrading from Netty 2.1 to Mina
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:51:42 GMT
Hello everybody. Actually starting this year we decided to use Netty to
support a server we are currently building, about eight months later
when we were building the first application to run into this server we
realized we are having problems with the message ordering, I mean, code
is written in a sequential order, but anyway events are being triggered
in a random order. Analyzing the issue we realized the problem is
related to the threading pool Netty uses, actually it is something like
many events being triggered in a synchronous way, but when they get to
Netty it might use all available resources to send all the answers for
all the events by different channels (network connections), so this is
causing the client application to receive the messages in the wrong
order. I changed the number of IoThreads and this solved the issue, but
at the same time this reduced the performance of the server as I think
it was expected.

So basically we have 2 approaches to solve this issue: modify Netty
classes trying to link each client application with one channel (with
all the considerations this might lead), or upgrading Netty by Mina. So
here is where my question arises, have any one have any experience like
this or know if the latest version of Mina might solve this issue?.
Actually the answer to this question is very important because of the
time each approach might take, so we'd like to have some confidence
about the way we decide to proceed to give a solution to this issue.

Thank you so much for your help,

Oscar Herrera S.
Developer
studiocom

_________
Disclaimer: This e-mail message is intended only to its recipient(s). If
by mistake you receive this e-mail please delete it and let me know. You
are not allowed to use any information contained here for yours or
others purposes, neither to reproduce the whole message or any part of
it or its attachments without my written authorization. Information
contained in this message cannot be taken as an official position from
any organization the author belongs to. All rights reserved, Oscar
Herrera S. 2004. Any violation to this disclaimer will be prosecuted to
the last extent of the law.