directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacob Barrett" <Jaco...@attachmatewrq.com>
Subject RE: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:57:03 GMT
Sounds promising, but I don't like your comments about the author not
releasing new versions.  Messing with the byte code makes me nervous for
debugging customer found issues.

For the java.util.concurrent deal I wrote a library that has all the
same classes that wrap factories that load either the 1.5 or the
backport impls.  We use it internally now for concurrency stuff since we
have to support Java 1.4. Heck we just stopped supporting 1.3 with this
upcoming release and I have a sneaking suspicion that we will be asked
to support it about 3 days before we release.

I think I will have to download and check out this retroweaver deal.

________________________________

	From: Trustin Lee [mailto:trustin@gmail.com]
	Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 9:17 AM
	To: Apache Directory Developers List
	Subject: Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

	What retroweaver do is manipulation of Java 1.5 bytecodes to
transform your 1.5 classes (version 0.49) into 1.4 classes (version
0.48).  And it replaces names of "java.*" classes introduced first in
Java 5 with backward-compatible ones in retroweaver.jar.  It's quite
tricky, but it works.  I even saw a guy who's substituting
java.util.concurrent with the backport library though it is not included
in official retroweaver distribution.

	Trustin