directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacob Barrett" <Jaco...@attachmatewrq.com>
Subject RE: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:08:07 GMT
Not in with my compiler from Sun.

C:\devel\workspace\java5>c:\java\jdk1.5.0_01\bin\javac -source 1.5
-target 1.4 src/java5/Test.java
javac: source release 1.5 requires target release 1.5

C:\devel\workspace\java5>c:\java\jdk1.5.0_01\bin\javac -source 1.4
-target 1.4 src/java5/Test.java
src/java5/Test.java:10: generics are not supported in -source 1.4
(try -source 1.5 to enable generics)
public class Test<T>
                 ^
1 error

________________________________

	From: Marc Boorshtein [mailto:mboorshtein@gmail.com]
	Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 8:45 AM
	To: Apache Directory Developers List
	Subject: Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

	Well, the language features are backwards compatible (generics &
enums).  I think the main problem is the class libraries.  Prior to 1.4
new labraries went first into the "javax" package first, so you could
use them in older JREs.

	As to anyone using it in production, I'd be very doubtfull that
any commercial apps are shipping 1.5 (I know several that still require
1.3).

	Marc