directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacob Barrett" <Jaco...@attachmatewrq.com>
Subject RE: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:36:27 GMT
While I agree that a move to 1.5 would be nice you have to consider that
not all platforms support 1.5 at the moment.  In particular IBM z/OS
which is a typical platform that my company tends to deploy into.
FreeBSD is only in the beta phase of producing a native 1.5, you can run
the Linux version in emulation.  Also, most of the application servers
out there are still only 1.4, so limiting to 1.5 only works in a
"standalone" mode.

If there is a way to take advantage of the language constructs in 1.5
but target 1.4 byte code then I would be all for it.  Retroweaver is
interesting, but does it produce production stable byte code?

Has anyone on here REALLY used it in a production environment?