directory-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Boorshtein <>
Subject Re: [OT] Schema restrictions within eDirectory
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:14:38 GMT

I have not looked at your tests, but it sounds like you are using the
"person" objectClass to store attributes that are contained in the
organizationalPerson and inetOrgPerson object classes. You may want to use
those intead. As for AD, it is not so much an LDAP server as it is an
identity store that exposes some functions and data via LDAP. For instance
the standrd AD deployment does not use InetOrgPerson, but the prorietary
"user" objectClass. There are also a lot of special rules around user
account creation with AD as well that differs from most LDAP servers.

On 9/17/05, Stefan Zoerner <> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I plan to extend the list of LDAP servers, against which I run my test
> suite against, by Novell eDirectory. I was able to install one (on
> Solaris), and most tests succeed.
> But I have the problem that all object classes I checked have schema
> restrictions regarding RDN creation. Within class person attribute cn is
> the only choice, within organizationalUnit it is ou, and so forth.
> Therefore I am not able to test how it behaves within several modify DN
> operations (they fail with Naming violations). Does anybody has an idea
> which eDirectory objectClass allows different attribute types for RDN? I
> intend to use the server as is for the test, and don't want to
> modify/extend the schema.
> Thanks in advance,
> Stefan
> Btw: Same problem with Active Directory.

View raw message